Sep 25, 2010

Kate Winslet launches autism charity

AKate_Winslet01-04-07ctress Kate Winslet has opened a charity to help people suffering from autism after an emotional conversation with her daughter.

The Titanic star recently narrated a documentary -- A Mother's Courage: Talking Back to Autism -- about an Icelandic woman's fight to find a way for her autistic son to communicate.

The actress watched the film with her daughter Mia and and the nine-year-old's questions about the documentary prompted Winslet to establish The Golden Hat Foundation, which will offer speech training to those who live with the condition.

"After watching the film A Mother's Courage with my daughter, one day she turned to me and asked, 'What if I wasn't able to talk to you mummy?'," contactmusic.com quoted her as saying.

"As I thought about what that meant, for a mother not to be able to talk with her own child, I realised that I had to lend my voice to raise awareness of this rapidly increasing disorder," she added.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Slideshow

followme twitter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP